Wednesday, July 9, 2008

what you feel is what you are and what you are is Beautiful

I wish I understood what C. S. Lewis was thinking as he wrote The Screwtape Letters. My crew and I read a chapter each night in order to spur conversation, and I've learned so much from just bits and pieces of his writings. He uses such big words (though I guess...they are the "right" words--as bigger words always are.) Hah. Anyways, I recommend the book if you're into learning new words!

Also, I've thought a lot about the chapter we read a few nights ago. It talked about Humility. I think that most of us consider the opposite of Humility is to be overly proud in our works--that is, thinking our talents are better than others', or that we're even more talented than anyone else and any (or every) aspect of our lives. Therefore, in attemps to be Humble in our every day lives, we push ourselves down and consider ourselves uglier than others, dumber than others, less creative than others, and we fail to take credit where credit is due.

To embrace Humility is to take pride in our works, but to not believe it is any better than others'. God has given us talents and when we don't embrace them, we're telling God He didn't do a good job. To be Humble is to know what you're good at and and to be confident, but to not compare ourselves to anyone else.

Can you imagine what the world would be if we didn't compare ourselves to other girls, other guys, to actors and actresses, to models in magazines and characters on TV?

So different--that is, if you're anything like me.

No comments: